keskiviikko 30. kesäkuuta 2010

Regions, dialects, brotherhood



Practical hint

Before diving into my last topic about dialects, more stereotypes and neighboring country of Estonia I would recommend you to do Notification of move. It can be done in internet just follow the instructions. When that is done you are able to get library card, cheaper public transportation monthly ticket and so on. It takes approximately one week after submitting the data when it is registered so do it at least seven days before you'll get here. You can use my address as your place of stay when you do the notification and when you'll find your own flat you can change that. My address you can find from the bottom of every email I've sent your email.

Regions

While you are struggling to get the grasp of basic Finnish I think it is time to confuse you with the different regions and their dialects. Currently we only have only six different provinces but they do not reflect that well historical regions. They are Ahvenanmaa (that's where I have spend 2 summers, all together half year), Häme (that is where I have lived 20 years of my life), Karjala, Lappi, Pohjanmaa (Ulla-Maija's origin), Satakunta, Savo (that is where I studied), Uusimaa (that is where Helsinki and I am currently locating) and Varsinais-Suomi.

Dialects and stereotypes

Note: The idea of behind the most of these short ad clips is that there is tourist who is asking from a local how find his/her way. Obviously due to the dialect and culture differences tourist even more confused after receiving the answer.

Turku is the former capital of Finland and probably it is the town that more people have negative feelings than any other Finnish city. No surprise I like the town. Turku is also part of Satakunta.

Helsinki is our representant of Uusimaa. Dialect of Helsinki is called Stadin slangi and most of the words are inherited from Russia and Swedish to it.

Lappi is the place where people are always in good mood. Besides the dialect in the video they have there is also their own language and strong culture of Saami people. We also have hip hop band doing music in Saami...

Big part of Karjala was lost to Soviet Union. For some reason their dialect would be the dialect I would choose if I would need to choose one that describes the essence of Finland.

Savo is the place where the people are said to be not so straightforward. That how they escape any responsibility. That is where I studied.

Häme is where they are slow but sportive. Or at least the Tampere dialect is the number one ice hockey dialect.

Besides all this we have those Estonians we tend to think as our little brothers. They are same language family and probably most funny language to us. BTW I just spend there 3 days holiday and it was fantastic. Funny thing is also that we both share the same national hymn melody (comparison) , Finland and Estonia.

Final words

This was it! We are on our winter since and the nights are getting darker. Luckily warmest month, July, is still ahead. Blooming is still the and earth looks pretty green indeed for becoming couple of months.

Have a best July of your life. Meet friends. Meet family. Take a sip or two cachaca. Pack your luggages with warm & sunny brazilian thoughts.

I will have my last day of work tomorrow on Friday and I will try to avoind internet until the end of July.

Beijos!

M

1 kommentti: